Global Affairs

HOME > Global Affairs > Global Affairs

Global Affairs

Casey Lartigue and Yeonmi Park Show episode 4 translation/transcript

Casey Lartigue | 2014.05.26 12:37 | 조회: 705 | 덧글보기(0)
트위터 페이스북 미투데이

http://freedomfactory.co.kr/bbs/bbsDetail.php?cid=globalAffairs&idx=4031

CASEY AND YEONMI SHOW 4.pdf

CASEY AND YEONMI SHOW, EPISODE 4

TRANSLATION BY: SOO KYUNG CHAE

Casey Lartigue (C) : Greetings, and welcome to the Casey and Yeon Mi Show. Thank you very much, yes, all right, she does that every time, she always wants to interrupt me. (laughter) So, this is a bi-weekly show which we discuss issues related to North Korea, and sometimes about South Korea. And my name is Casey Lartigue, I am the main host of the show, but the star of the show is my co-host, her name is Park Yeon Mi. And the special thing about her is that she was born in North Korea, and she escaped in 2007, she made her way across China, and what is it, you followed a compass to get into Mongolia. Congratulations on that! What else, she learned Chinese and English by studying on her own. So, we are so happy to have her as co-host of the show, and she’s our guide about North Korea. So, welcome.

C: 안녕하세요, 케이시와 연미 (Casey and Yeon Mi Show) 오신 것을 환영합니다. 쇼에서 우리는 격주로 북한, 그리고 때에 따라서는 한국에 대해서 논의합니다. 이름은 케이시 라티그 이고요. 제가 메인 진행자이기는 하지만, 우리 쇼의 스타는 저의 공동 진행자, 연미 입니다. 연미 씨는 북한에서 태어났다는 점에서 특별한데, 2007년에 탈북하여 북으로 향하는 나침반을 가지고 중국을 거쳐 몽골로 향했다고 합니다. 축하드립니다! 그리고, 연미 씨는 중국어와 영어를 독학으로 공부했다고 하고요. 우리가 북한 문제에 대하여 이야기를 연미 씨가 우리의 안내인 역할을 텐데요, 공동 진행자로 우리와 함께 주셔서 매우 기쁘네요. 환영합니다.

Yeon Mi Park (Y) : Thank you.

Y: 감사합니다.

C: So this week, couple of things that were interesting to me. There was a story in the news recently about a North Korean refugee who declared that he was going to go back to North Korea, because he wanted to protest the treatment of North Korean refugees in South Korea. Now, the interesting thing for me were two points: number one, it’s strange that he’s going to protest by going back to North Korea. I mean, for me, it’s like, if you are, for example, an American slave, going back to the South after you escaped to the North, and saying you want to protest what they’re doing in the North. Or, if you’re like a Jewish person during Nazi Germany and you managed to get out, and you want to go back to protest somewhere else. So it just seems to be a really strange strategy that he’s taking. If he says “I’m going to leave,” “I’m going to Texas,” or “I’m going to go to somewhere else” like that, not North Korea. So that’s the first thing that was really strange about it.

The second thing is, there’s this the whole discussion about do we use the term “refugee” or “defector.” For me, most of the people are refugees, they just want to escape to freedom. But in his case, he would be what I consider to be a “defector” because he did it for political reasons. That story caught my eye, and I talked to Yeon Mi about it and it turned out she had a lot to say about it, including about the refugees and experiences in South Korea. So, first of all, let’s ask about the issue of North Korean refugees adjusting to South Korea. First, I’ll ask you about your experience. Are you going to go back to North Korea?

FULL TRANSCRIPT AND TRANSLATION HERE

CASEY AND YEONMI SHOW 4.pdf

평점 주기   0 (0명)
댓글 쓰기 : 0/500
• 전체 : 27 건 ( 1/2 쪽)
NO. 제 목 글쓴이 작성일자 조회
  Invitation: "Don`t Ask My Name"--Seminar on North Korean women
Casey Lartigue
2014.01.29 588
26 [Freedom Voice] 52: Let the Bankers Solve their own Problems
이종원
2014.09.22 763
25 [Yoojin Lee`s Standpoint] #1 Sometimes Tears only breed more Misery
이종원
2014.09.22 886
24 [Yoojin Lee`s Standpoint] #8 Meaningless Babbling
이종원
2014.09.11 786
23 [Freedom Voice] 51: We Cannot Avoid Reality
이종원
2014.09.12 759
22 [Freedom Voice] 50: Guarding Against Totalitarianism
이종원
2014.09.12 759
21 North Korea Today, episode 1: Tourism to North Korea [1]
Casey Lartigue
2014.08.08 726
20 Friedman Legacy Day 2014 (August 3, from 2-5 pm)
Casey Lartigue
2014.07.17 643
19 `A Change is Gonna Come`: North Korea today, July 13 forum
Casey Lartigue
2014.06.19 821
18 The hopes of North Korea’s `Black Market Generation’ (Washington ..
Casey Lartigue
2014.05.26 483
17 [Freedom Voice] Defamation should be solved civilly, not criminally
프리덤인턴
2014.05.25 515
Casey Lartigue and Yeonmi Park Show episode 4 translation/transcript
Casey Lartigue
2014.05.26 705
15 Casey and Yeonmi Show #3 (Video + Translation/Transcript)
Casey Lartigue
2014.05.16 759
14 Freedom Factory Newsletter #5
프리덤인턴
2014.05.14 630
13 [Freedom Voice] Doctors, pledge for freedom, not strike meetings!
프리덤인턴
2014.05.14 505

1 2

검색 목록보기